Friday, January 3, 2014

Kiss of Night by Debbie Viguié

Kiss of Night by Debbie Viguié
Publisher: Faithwords
Publication Date: October 7, 2011

Centuries ago, Raphael was a blasphemous knight who fought in the Crusades purely for his own mercenary benefit, and to satisfy his taste for killing. Now, condemned for his evil passions and hypocrisy, he wanders the earth a vampire, cursed with first-hand knowledge of the supernatural world he once denied existed. The powerful relic he still possesses from his days as a Crusader has been stolen by a rival vampire who has recruited an army of soulless underlings to aid him in spreading evil. At the time he learns this, Raphael has been hunting this vampire for nearly a century, and it seems the final battle is destined to take place in Prague. For help in this quest, Raphael must enlist the aid of two humans, David and Susan, who suddenly find themselves immersed in a world they never imagined, entangled with supernatural forces they can't control. Susan, in particular, finds herself conflicted as she struggles with her inexplicable attraction to Raphael. In the end, both Susan and Raphael will be called upon to exercise courage and faith, and in the process, the question, "What would happen if a vampire truly accepted God?" is answered


My Review:

It was an accident that I picked up this book to read. I was simply scanning the fiction bookshelf at my local bookstore, when the cover caught my eye. And the title to be honest. I was craving something with a heap of romance in it, and what's better than a paranormal romance? I stressing over finals, so I thought this would be a great way to get my mind off of the tests.

Kiss of Night is labeled as paranormal Christian fiction, although I didn't realize that when I first bought it, and as I read it, I myself would have classified it as only paranormal romance. But that's not important.

The characters in general were alright, but I felt a little something lacking. Especially with Raphael. I definitely would have been happier with a little more character development, such as Raphael and why he was so evil. The humans, Susan, David, and Wendy felt bland and one-dimensional at times. Since this is only first in the series, I'm hoping that there's more development down the line.

Overall, I thought the plot was decent, given that this is a first in a trilogy, but I'm still debating whether or not to purchase the next in the series. Not a good sign, in my opinion.

Verdict: 3 out of 5

2 comments: